Tuesday, September 22

The Worst & Most Hated Typeface Of All

So this is my last post on fonts.

I consider this the worst, and most overused, abused ugly, terrible font known to mankind.

PAPYRUS.
Truly causes nausea.


So there it is.


A Quick History.
Made by Chris Costello, Papyrus was designed to mock what writing would have looked like on papyrus (paper) 2000 years ago in Egypt. In 2007, even Chris Costello agreed it had been overused. People tend to choose it because it has a distressed, old look, while overlooking its terrible letter shapes, its illegibility, and Egyptian characteristics.


Perhaps the following photos will get you in the mood for hating this terrible typeface.
a few of these may be familiar.










Doesn't really look like a hip place to hang out. A bit Egyptian and 90s looking for my taste in coffee shops...



The following are pictures that my husband and I took around town in search for the notorious Papyrus.


I don't think this restaurant serves Egyptian food.



Another restaurant chooses Papyrus.



I doubt they have books dating back to 2000 years ago.




I looked in the window. They don't even sell vintage-inspired clothing. So, it wasn't because it's distressed...




Seriously. I can barely look at it anymore.



I've really lost respect for any business that makes this choice.



Here, you see, the fate of those who choose this font.



I'll admit I am a bit close-minded on the issue.



I wouldn't want to get my hair cut here. I think it might appear outdated.

HERE You can find a website with even more Papyrus sitings. The website is actually devoted to watching for, finding and documenting Papyrus. Prepare to be overwhelmed.

Just for fun, look around for this font in your local city. You will be surprised how often it creeps up.



5 comments:

  1. Lyle has pointed this out to me many times. Of course I don't think it bothers me as much as it does you! The coffee shop looked like a bass pro shop or something of that nature to me though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i've always had it out for comic sans, but you make a great case for papyrus! what's your favorite font? i'm currently into american typewriter. ha i am a nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post is fantastic!! it is an awful font... and outdated... and so unoriginal. i am a font worshiper and papyrus is one of the wort, up there with comic sans.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot! I will try to comment back to every comment and if I like your blog, I will most likely follow it!

It's a Handmade Revolution

Photobucket

Alison & Jesse

Alison & Jesse